ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Tasmania?

Nov 9th 2014, 17:40

W9SWT

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Just curious, I was wondering why Tasmania is not a separate entity. For example, Sicily seems closer to the rest of Italy than Tasmania is to Australia. I guess in general, I'm asking how entities are decided upon.

Steve ~ W9SWT
Nov 10th 2014, 14:00

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules
The DXCC List is based on Clinton B. DeSoto's, W1CBD, landmark 1935 QST article, "How to Count Countries Worked, A New DX Scoring System." DeSoto's article discussed problems DXers had in determining how to count the DX, or entities, they had worked. He presented the solution that has worked successfully for succeeding generations of DXers.

In DeSoto's words, "The basic rule is simple and direct: Each discrete geographical or political entity is considered to be a country." This rule has stood the test of time -- from the original list published in 1937, to the ARRL DXCC List of today. For more than 70 years, the DXCC List has been the standard for DXers around the world.

DeSoto never intended that all DXCC "countries" would be countries in the traditional sense of the word. Rather, they are the distinct geographic and political entities which DXers seek to contact. Individual achievement is measured by working and confirming the various entities comprising the DXCC List. This is the essence of the DXCC program.

Over time, criteria for the DXCC List has changed. The List remains unchanged until an entity no longer satisfies the criteria under which it was added, at which time it is moved to the Deleted List. Thus, today's DXCC List does not fully conform with today's criteria since many entities are grandfathered under previous rules.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Diamond%20DXCC/QST_Jan_1937_p52-53.pdf
The original DXCC list as published in QST.

Nov 10th 2014, 23:28

W9SWT

Thanks. After my post, I did find this info on the web site while browsing.
Sep 6th 2017, 23:29

AG6LE

The small Bass-Strait islands of the State of Tasmania (VK7) and the islands of Victoria (VK3) are in close proximity, to the extent that after a line was drawn, it was found to cross an island, now called "Boundary Islet".

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn