ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Yaesu VX-8DR TX restriction outside 430-450

Jan 9th 2015, 00:33

KK6OXU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have two HT units, a cheap Baofeng BF-F8 and an expensive Yaesu VX-8DR. The Baofeng transmits from 400-480 MHz and Yaesu although receives from 420-470 only transmits from 430-450 MHz. Is there a way to defeat this restriction and if so, why would I not want to do this?

I'm am new to all of this and not yet wise to the ways of HAM. Anyones guidance and tutelage will be greatly appreciated. And while on the subject of my lack of experience, I am in Corona CA if anyone can suggest where I can hang out and learn from others.
Jan 15th 2015, 03:31

WA9WVX

Just because your BoaFeng handhelds can cover a wider frequency bandwidth, this doesn't mean that you are allowed to operator outside the Amateur Radio VHF or UHF Bands. From 400 MHz up to 420 MHz is strictly used by the U.S. Federal Government. I wouldn't want to be caught using those frequencies unless you don't mind having any three letter agency visit your home, take all of your ham radio equipment, arrest you, make you show up in Federal Court, heavily fine you and send you to work in Leavenworth, Kansas breaking rocks into pebbles. The place is a Federal Penitentiary. BTW, Stupidity is not a viable reason for your actions in any Court of Law.

Using frequencies above 450 MHz with out the proper Business Band License can put you in the same situation as using frequencies below 420 MHz, the Federal Communications Commission licenses all of the different RF channels and they don't have a Good Sense of Humor when you or other individuals are caught using the unauthorized frequencies.

The 420 through 450 MHz Amateur Radio Band is shared with the U.S. Air Force and they are the Primary user, the Amateur Radio Community are secondary users and it's been that way for decades. Their is a FCC Mandate that limits the ham radio operators on the UHF Band to 50 W output Maximum because of the Air Force's PAVE PAWS Radar System.

As far as modifying your YAESU handheld to cover the 420 to 430 MHz would be against the ARRL & the FCC Rules & Regulations. If you really need to know why YAESU didn't allow the first 10 MHz of our UHF Band, I would recommend to contact the manufacture directly.

As for your learning to operate and answer any of your questions about this hobby, I'm suggesting to join a very good Amateur Radio Club in Riverside, CA and here's their website http://www.w6tj.org/ it's only 15 or 16 miles from Corona, CA.

Dan
WA9WVX
May 12th 2015, 21:18

n0zgo

Quote by WA9WVX

The 420 through 450 MHz Amateur Radio Band is shared with the U.S. Air Force and they are the Primary user, the Amateur Radio Community are secondary users and it's been that way for decades. Their is a FCC Mandate that limits the ham radio operators on the UHF Band to 50 W output Maximum because of the Air Force's PAVE PAWS Radar System.

Important note: This 50W restriction applies only to a specific geographic areas. See Part 97, Section 303, Paragraph (m)(2) and Part 97, Section 313, Paragraph (f).
Aug 15th 2015, 03:54

W4JPS

mods.dk for the out of band mod.

However, I personally would only use it for something like MURS or FRS on low power at most.
Aug 15th 2015, 15:21

WA0CBW

But only if those radios have the FCC part 95.191 for FRS and 95.631(j) for MURS certification.
Bill

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn