ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Logging contact during HF nets

Jan 18th 2016, 19:57

KI4PW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
This may be a "dumb newbie" question, but how (or even why) would you log a contact made on an HF net? Just got my General in Dec. '15, and I've checked in a few times on HF nets on 40 m, and it's a question that I've had. Would you log it as a contact with the Net Control Station (or the relay station you worked if Net Control couldn't hear you well)? Or just enjoy the net and not bother logging it?

Tnx, 73, KM4LLF
Apr 13th 2016, 20:48

W1GOV

Looks like no one has ever answered your question. I am a relatively new ham (since June 2015) and most of my QSOs have been with net control operators. I find very few Hams actually calling CQ unless it is a foreign station who has pile up and no one can get through. In my naive opinion a QSO is a contact with an other ham. Period. Net or no net. I have sent QSL cards to all my NCO contacts and get QSLs in return with a pleasant thank you. Amateur radio is supposed to be fun; keep it that way.
Apr 13th 2016, 20:49

W1GOV

one more thing. My original call sign was KM4LFL. We must have been licensed very close to each other.
Nov 22nd 2016, 17:23

0001573633H80

Quote by KM4LLF
This may be a "dumb newbie" question, but how (or even why) would you log a contact made on an HF net? Just got my General in Dec. '15, and I've checked in a few times on HF nets on 40 m, and it's a question that I've had. Would you log it as a contact with the Net Control Station (or the relay station you worked if Net Control couldn't hear you well)? Or just enjoy the net and not bother logging it?

Tnx, 73, KM4LLF

No dumb questions - only questions!

Anyway, my personal policy is to QSL to stations that I have "talked to directly"...but stations that are on the same net as me but I didn't talk to - I don't count as a contact. So, if I want to exchange QSL cards with a station on the net, and if it's a rag chew net, I just ask a question to the station directly.

There are nets that encourage station-to-station contacts, like 3905 Century Club and so on.

Feb 26th 2019, 05:03

W5MIL

The easiest way to participate in nets and log contacts is to use NetLogger. Google it, read about it and download it. On the home page there are 5 blue buttons at the top and you will only need to use 3 of them: "Select Net", "AIM Window" and "Log Contact". Click on "Select Net" to see which nets are currently running. Click on the one you'd like to see and then click "Monitor Net" at the lower left of the page. Once the net populates, you can click "AIM Window" at the top to IM anyone on the net who also has the AIM Window open. AIM stands for, "Almost Instant Message"...there's about a 10 second delay in posts on AIM. To log a contact, you click on the signal report windows of the person you are having a contact with, type in the reports for send and receive, than click "Log Contact" at the top of the page. You will see the contact populate with all info below the list of net participants. These contacts can be easily loaded into eQSL and LoTW via "eLogs" tab at the top of the page.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn