ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

European AM'er Needs Help

Aug 25th 2011, 19:45

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
This request came into the ARRL Lab. Could someone help this gentlemen? Thank, WB1GCM

Dear reader,
I have got here recently an old RCA type BTA-1S broadcast TX. Think it is the only one in Europe, because we did not have local AM from history, only FM. Want to make it operational for our Dutch AM net, every Sunday on 3705KHz from the Dutch Surplus Radio Society. But one problem, I have the original instruction manual, but NOT the schematic! Also a power cut down option is included, with also no schematic. As I am not a member ( but a member of the Dutch VERON), I cannot ask on the AM forum, there are more USA hams using this boatanchor if I see on internet, but very difficult to contact them. Can you place my request on the AM forum please???

73, Fred, PA0MER
fred@pa0mer.nl

Aug 26th 2011, 14:35

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Paul, WA3VJB has this to tell:

Hi Bob,

I am connecting Fred to Frank, KB3AHE about the posting looking for technical documentation.

A few years ago I acquired two transmitters from a radio station in Baltimore, and dropped one of them off at Frank's house. It was an RCA BTA-1S. He's got the book and will discuss with Fred what he may need, scan it, and email it.

That particular transmitter is very interesting. Aluminum, downsized chassis made in Italy in the early 1970s. Quad of 4-400s as was seen throughout the earlier, heavy metal era of the BTA-1R series. Nice transmitter, but the final tank is inductively tuned and very narrow.
Fred will need to carry out some modifications to get it up to 80M, but I've worked their group from here at Annapolis and it will be nice to have another good signal from across the pond.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks Paul and Frank (in advance). I bet we'll be able to work Fred, PA0MER on his BTA-1S transmitter sometime soon.

WB1GCM
Nov 23rd 2011, 04:01

k4hx

He can always get more answers at

amfone.net

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn