ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Picking a Call sign

Mar 30th 2016, 16:42

Lucky56

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I've read some info on the FCC's website and still a bit confused about call signs. Once you've passed the test for a Technician liscense, does the FCC automatically assign you a call sign or can you search for an unused call sign and pick that instead of being assigned one? also what's the difference between a vanity call sign and one picked by the FCC?
Mar 30th 2016, 16:59

W1VT

Super Moderator

Newly licensed individuals and newly licensed clubs cannot get a Vanity call sign as their first call sign. A Vanity call sign can only be obtained in exchange (traded in) for an existing call.
Mar 30th 2016, 18:34

Lucky56

ok, so, say my initials in my name are KPTand I live in Washington state, could I request a call sign like K7KPT. would that be a vanity call sign?
Apr 28th 2016, 21:25

NV2K

You could request K7KPT as a vanity call, but it is currently assigned, as are N7KPT and W7KPT.

There is a useful page on this site, at:

http://www.arrl.org/vanity-call-signs

that provides information on obtaining a vanity call.

GL de NV2K
Apr 28th 2016, 22:02

aa6e

Some folks keep their assigned call sign, because they like it, they get to be known by it, or they just aren't interested in "gaming" the system for a desirable call.

These days, you are not restricted to a particular numerical call district, so you could just as well ask for K1KPT, K2KPT, etc. (I have kept my call sign -- not a vanity call -- even though I've moved from 6- to 1-land quite a while ago.) Sometimes, people are confused by a "6" call from Connecticut, but so it goes. Your assigned call sign will always have the number of your actual FCC district (i.e. 7) if that matters to you.

My advice (worth what it costs you) is to see what you get assigned and then decide if you want to go "vanity". For one thing, the calls available to you as a Tech may be restricted. (I'm not sure, but you may only get a "2x3" type call.) You might decide you want to upgrade to General or Extra and get access to the "premium" calls. But be aware that it will be a struggle to get one of the top tier calls - like 1x2 format - there's a lot of competition.

73 Martin AA6E
May 12th 2016, 03:38

ke8byu

Picking up a call sign. I thought you were concerned about hearing faint callsigns on HF or something. Boy was I disappointed. You could have helped me with that problem. You are concerned about getting a Vanity call sign. I tried that too but settled on my FCC-issued KE8BYU. I am not a graduate of that fine university, Brigham Young University, because I am Catholic and SUNY state ed trash. Use that energy and persistence to figure out why my ft991 doesn’t work with a simple USB cable using fldigi while properly entering all the settings. Receive, no transmit. Don’t want work-arounds. When you solve my problem with PSK on ft991 I will call you and let you cry about your callsign. You could be my first contact!. I might put you in my will. In the meantime invent a new antenna and explain its characteristics or solve cold fusion so us HAMs can do what we do with no tricity cost.
May 12th 2016, 12:09

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=104911.0
This post suggests that there is a firmware/software issue between the FT-991 and Fldigi that needs to be resolved.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jun 14th 2016, 20:46

raydoe

Is it policy for hams to give sarcastic answers to reasonable questions?
Nov 16th 2016, 03:32

KA1TMA

Quote by raydoe
Is it policy for hams to give sarcastic answers to reasonable questions?

haha, yes it is!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn