ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

6 & 10 Meter Reception

Aug 20th 2016, 16:51

Johnymac

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I just received my Technicians level license. So I have been concentrating on 6 & 10M bands as per my privileges.

To be frank, I have NOT been able to reach anybody. I do hear folks on occasion primarily folks using 6M repeaters but again not able to connect.

My equipment list is:
> Kenwood TS-590S with internal antenna tuner
> 6 and 10 meter dipole antenna's with the SWR around 1:1

I was able to raise a friend on 6M planned test so I know the radio is working.

Any thoughts with this minimal amount of information? :-)

Is there propagation issues currently (August 2016) at the moment?
KC1FWU
Aug 21st 2016, 00:36

W1VT

Super Moderator

Propagation beyond local coverage is highly unpredictable on 6M.

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php
This web site provides maps to help DXers spot openings

There was a rare E skip opening between New England and CY9C that allowed many contacts on the 15 to 6M bands.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Aug 8th 2017, 08:01

KJ4LPI

This past Sunday evening around 7pm EDT, a station in Brazil suddenly came booming into my QTH in north Georgia on 10 meters. I heard him work several stations on the east coast for about 15 minutes , then he quickly faded. Do you think this path was via F2 or sporadic E or maybe something else? 73 Alan KJ4LPI
Aug 8th 2017, 21:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

It could be either F2 or Sporadic E. That is about the right time for F2, but the probability is rather low at this part of the Sunspot Cycle. This is the right time of year for Sporadic E, but the probability for any given path is also quite low. There is one important difference between the paths--E-skip of that path length is double hop. Hearing stations in the middle of the path would mean E skip. There would not be F2 skip of that short a path length on 10 meters. The DX maps web site plots paths on a map to help determine propagation modes.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn