ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

"Third-Party" QSOs

Aug 30th 2016, 23:59

kc6nlx

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I know it's not really a "third party" QSO, but how does a U.S. station with an unlicensed operator (and a licensed control op standing by) identify during a QSO with an international station?

In other words, say I have a friend who is not licensed but knows someone in another country. As far as I am aware, barring any reciprocal agreement issues with the other country, I should be allowed to let that unlicensed friend talk on my station as long as I'm present. Since my friend doesn't have a callsign, I will need to identify my station myself.

What would be the normal phraseology used for such an identification? I recall reading that international QSOs call for you to identify both the station with whom you are talking and your own station at the end of your QSO. But how would you include the unlicensed person who was actually speaking to the other station?

Thanks.
Aug 31st 2016, 12:35

aa6e

IANAL but... I'd say it doesn't matter *who* says it, but the station needs to identify. Your guest could say other-op-callsign this is my-callsign -- the same as you would normally do it. On the other hand, it's probably better if you, the control op, do it, because you're motivated and familiar with the procedure. I am not aware of any duty to announce who all the people are who are speaking! But it would be good procedure to note this in your log. You do keep a log, don't you? :)

There is some confusion about whether, when you say "this is AA6E", you are identifying yourself (the operator) or the station. Properly speaking the callsign goes with the station, not the operator. In the good old days you got separate operator and station licenses, with the callsign attached to the station license. Now, of course, the two licenses are merged into one.

73 Martin AA6E
Aug 31st 2016, 18:44

kc6nlx

Thanks, Martin. Yes, I do keep a log....and if someone else uses my station in the manner I described in my question, yes, I'll log that fact that they were there and used it.
I've had folks chew on me for not saying who the other person was on the other end of an autopatch call over a repeater, and my response was that there is no legal requirement that I tell them with whom I was talking. I always ended my autopatch calls, "KC6NLX ending autopatch call."

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn