ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

FT8

May 30th 2019, 09:29

WA1LBK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Formerly inactive OT, have operated RTTY & PSK31 in the past, just bought a new IC-7300 & interfaced it to my PC. Just starting to explore FT8, been monitoring 14.075; QSO's simply seem to consist of nothing more than grid square exchanges. Is THAT all it is?
Tom WA1LBK
May 30th 2019, 12:59

AI4BJ

Yes, that's all it is. I'm baffled by its wild popularity, but to each his/her own!

When I simply want to see how far my signal can travel, I use WSPR. When I want to make a QSO where I can actually converse with someone, I use SSB, CW or PSK31.

Mark AI4BJ
May 30th 2019, 13:55

WA1LBK

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. :) I can see the point where it may be useful trying to rack up DXCC or WAS quickly digitally, & how it could become popular in that respect. Still, I was somewhat amazed that after a few day's monitoring, saw nothing really resembling a "normal" conversational QSO. I also heard that PSK31 usage is down substantially due to FT8's popularity. I don't have a suitable transmit antenna up at the moment for 20 M., still may give FT8 a try once I do. ;)

Tom WA1LBK

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn