ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Getting back into ham radio

May 31st 2018, 15:49

bgozzard

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello World ...
I've been out of ham radio for about 10 years but would like to jump back in. I live in a 55+ community that doesn't allow outdoor antennas. I would like to set up a 2 meter base station with an antenna in the attic. My question is can anyone recommend a 2 meter transceiver. I'm also confused by the different modes available ... DStar, EchoLink, APRS? I would think I would gravitate to Dstar but Echolink also sounds interesting. Is there a transceiver on the market today that supports both modes? The last time I was on 2 meters I was using a Gonset Communicator back in the 1950s so you can see I've got some catching up to do. Anyway, any feedback would be welcome. Thanks and 73s from K3CNE (Hatfield, PA)
Jun 29th 2018, 15:07

W9lrm

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I don't have a recommendation, but i would get a analog / digital radio and get a hot spot to go along with it. At my QTH I started with Dstar and ended up with dstar, fusion and dmr and two hot spots...... I think the addition of a digital besides analog will give you more flexibility.

73's good luck with it de Rich

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn