ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

programing repeaters in new radio

Nov 28th 2021, 09:44

KD9BKU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a new radio on order and to get ahead of the game I downloaded the programing software. Its a Anytone AT 778UV. When putting in the repeater frequency's it asks for CTCSS/DCS tone - Encode and Decode. On another radio I have it looks like I have the Encode and Decode tone set the same for each repeater but on a programing tutorial I watched it said only use the Encode. Any suggestions? Still learning a lot about the radios and want to make sure this and my other radios are set correctly.
Thanks,
Mike
KD9BKU
Nov 29th 2021, 09:03

W1VT

Super Moderator

The issue with setting tone on decode is that not all repeaters repeat the tone when retransmitting the signal. If this is the case you won't hear the repeated transmission if you have the decode tone set. But, if you are sure the repeater sends a tone, setting the tone may be useful.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 1st 2021, 14:43

WA8NVW

Zak's excellent reply also lets you have a receiver that will hear ALL signals on the programmed receive channel, helpful if you are located between two repeaters coordinated to share the same channel. (could be two mountaintops over a hundred miles apart)

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn