ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Contestants assisting low power stations

Mar 30th 2012, 10:06

VK3NRW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi all,
I enjoy contests but sometimes find it difficult to work DX stations to exchange numbers etc due to being able to run max of 100 watts. If this occurs most times I just cease trying if I cannot get through in about 3-4 tries as other station may have their antenna facing wrong direction but so be it. During CQ WPX last weekend I was listening to an Australian Foundation licencee trying to get through to a US station, this US operator sacrificed time to assist this Foundation operator to exchange numbers and then thanked the lower powered station for their patience. I admired the US station for his consideration and he should have had the thanks for his patience. I might advise anyone who is not aware that a Foundation station here in OZ has a max output of 10 WATTS & that doesn't go far in a contest but he is still an amateur.
John Weston
VK3NRW
Apr 24th 2012, 01:33

KG0MN

I can not understand how a contest can be called fair if one station is running 100 watts to a vertical and the other station is running a pair of TH7DXX antennas on a 120' tower and 100 watts. Perhaps it is time we have stations grouped by :Effective Radiated Power" Then someone would just say they were using a string and a tin can.
May 2nd 2012, 16:41

K0HB

You compete with what you have. I admire the guy who worked so hard to pull the low powered station up out of the mud, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't either. Contesting is about competition and winning, and sometimes it is counterproductive to be too "patient".

Jun 23rd 2012, 08:47

gw0nvn

It shows the curtesy that most radio hams have. K0HB is correct. It is a fine balance. But some times that station is a rare multiplier so you will try harder. Contests also encourage you to improve your knowledge, station and operating skills. Hopefully this contact will have encouraged the OZ station to study for the next class of ham license. Put up a better directional antenna aimed at the USA. Take advantage of the propagation. etc.

For me entering the ARRL HF SSB Sweepstakes in the QRP section helped me understand propagation in N. America. Where to site the station. What sort of antenna to use. Operating skills and practices.

I still need to make improvements for this year so that I can work more stations on the N.E.Coast. Especially on 40m/20m early on in the Contest.

Have fun 73's
GW0NVN N1XIH
Nov 25th 2012, 00:19

K7EVI

Is it just me, or are contestants professionals, rather than amateurs? In one contest, I .was a pile-uper, KLI WA. One mega contester came on top and started blasting CQ DX NO USA. He was told by several that there was a station (me) that people were trying to work on that frequency and his cleaned up reply was for me to eat fertilizer. This Outlaw N7-- then insisted that that late in the contest, everyone had their US contacts.
And one other question - Why would 465 people contact me and less than 100 QSL even electronically - especially if they take the time to send in an electronic entry? It takes me 2 minutes each for uploads to QRZ and eQSL and about 10 minutes for LoTW with my slow computer.
Yes, I am an old timer, but I lost almost all my records and equipment in two fires and a house emptying burglary. {(ARRL, LoTW is fine, except when I am starting over I see "eQSL, AG" as offering more PDF awards - that I can afford and have life left to earn, than you have.)}
YES, I am low power - solar at that, but not QRP.
Jan 7th 2013, 19:49

KB3LIX

I am an avid contester with only 100w and either a low doublet or a Hustler 4BTV at my disposal. Take it from me that in a MAJOR contest, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to try and "run" a frequency.
Invariably, some big gun will move in either on top of you, or right beside you and you will not be able to hear diddly squat.
It isn't always the case that the contest station is trying to run you off, but the noise and QRM during a major contest, he may just not hear you.

I do 100% search and pounce.
OK, OCCASIONALLY, I will call CQ but NOT very often.
I called CQ for a while in the ARRL RTTY RU last weekend,
but I was trying to "ambush" a Delaware station I heard working
S & P down band. I never did get DE. (or SC either)

Good luck in your contest efforts.
I know low power and compromise antennas make it difficult, but look at your situation as an additional CHALLENGE.
Jan 7th 2013, 19:53

KB3LIX

One more point..

Some people find LoTW too difficult to get running.
Go figure, It was easy for me.
I use LoTW and sdubmit all my contest logs.
And my daily Q's just in case the other guy is looking for my country/state/county.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn