ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Legality of using SSTV MP73-N on 30m?

May 10th 2012, 13:39

KB0HAE

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I posted some time back asking about whether U.S. Amateurs are allowed to use MP73-N SSTV mode on 30m. There was no definitive answer, nor could I even find an emission designator for this mode. Cconsiderable research (both then and now) leaves these things unclear.

Has any more information become available? Someone who understands more than I do will need to come up with an emission designator for this mode. Until then, I do not think the question of whether U.S. Amateurs can legally use this mode on 30m can be answered.
May 23rd 2012, 16:43

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

SSTV is considered an Image. That's why it is not found in the Data and RTTY section of the band (14-14.1 MHz). On 20 meters, for instance, "phone" and "Image" are allowed from 14.150 to 14.350 MHz.

On 30 Meters, only "RTTY" and "Data" are allowed (which includes CW), Image is not allowed.

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
ARRL Test Engineer
May 26th 2012, 06:39

KB0HAE

Hi Bob. That is what I thought, but there has been a great deal of controversy on this issue, and no definitive answers. Not even an emmission designator for the specific mode mentioned.

TTYL

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn