ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Electronic QST problems on Linux

May 23rd 2012, 18:29

K0STK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Is anyone else having problems viewing the electronic edition of QST on their Linux system?

May 24th 2012, 16:20

N0NB

I was able to view it yesterday in Chromium on Debian Sid. Printing to a PDF was another matter as I only ended up with 12 pages in the PDF. But then they've been breaking CUPS as much as possible of late. Sigh.

I noticed that the resulting printed pages are all watermarked at the bottom with a copyright notice.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
May 25th 2012, 00:37

W0BTU

Yes.

On on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS machine, viewing it in the latest version of Firefox, it's completely screwed up. I saw two images superimposed.
May 25th 2012, 03:35

aa6e

Mostly OK here on Ubuntu 11.10 (64 bit). Printing a few pages is fine. It wouldn't let me print to a file. There is no current Adobe Air for Linux, so downloading to the desktop is not an option -- unless you dig in the archive for an older version, maybe. Some videos crash the Flash viewer (Kay Craigie's intro) but some will play (The Whip-It). This is a typical unreliable Flash performance on my system. I can't blame nxtbook for that. So, something like 90-95% works OK, which is grudgingly acceptable for me. PDF is the gold standard for reliability. Flash is definitely not.

73 Martin AA6E
May 29th 2012, 13:56

N0NB

The situation is not helped by the fact that Adobe announced recently that the Flash plugin will no longer be developed for Linux. We're stuck at version 11.2.whatever until ??? Google Chrome/Chromium do have Flash built into the browser, so it remains to be seen whether new Flash versions appear in those browsers.

Perhaps the writing is on the wall, and proprietary software authors no longer view the Linux desktop as a viable target. That's fine by me, actually. Whenever ARRL drops the dead-tree version of QST (and it will happen), then my membership will cease if QST is not available in a format usable on my desktop environment of choice. Such is the advantage of not being a life member.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
May 29th 2012, 18:14

aa6e

Flash does not seem to be the wave of the future, even in the Windows world. HTML5 may be the right direction -- in any case, something less proprietary. Watch what happens with the iPhone. (Well, maybe not. It's the most proprietary thing out there!)

As to life memberships, we can tell you one way those can be terminated... (I prefer to join the Diamond Club. That way the League has an interest in keeping you healthy. :)

Martin
Jul 16th 2012, 16:56

KE6FIS

I run Gentoo Linux myself, and the digital edition is totally useless to me because of the Adobe AIR issue. For whatever reason, QST is the ONLY one of numerous digital publications I now receive that doesn't offer a PDF format download. There's a survey link included with the monthly QST Digital Edition notice email, and I use it to report the lack of Linux support. Perhaps if enough of us do Headquarters will listen.
Jul 16th 2012, 20:18

VA7GP

I am unable to view anything, whether it's any of my Linux systems at work, or at home :-( I don't even get super-imposed images :-( My available machines run Gentoo, with Firefox, Chrome, Konqueror, and Epiphany.

The best I can achieve is a little animated spinner, saying "Wait while loading" It's too bad this doesn't work :-(
Nov 16th 2012, 05:19

eloranta

Fedora & chrome: can view inside the browser but cannot save or print.
Sticking with the paper version.
Nov 17th 2012, 04:41

KB0HAE

The thing is, to me Amateur Radio is about openly communicating. Encryption, or obscuring meaning is not allowed, nor is it needed. The way that ARRL has implemented digital QST is very much contrary to the spirit of Amateur Radio. I am very dissapointed!
Dec 14th 2015, 02:09

N3LTX

Joined this evening and can't access any of the equipment reviews, online QST, database searches, callsign searches etc. on any apple product. I hope membership is refundable because the site is worthless to me.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn