ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

HS Clubs

Aug 22nd 2012, 15:56

K9OF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Where can I find a list of all HS radio clubs in the US? I want to ask some of them how they attached their HF antennas to their school buildings.

Thanks!

John, K9OF
Aug 24th 2012, 11:25

WA8SME

Super Moderator

John,

One place to look is at the ETP Grant listing located here: http://www.arrl.org/etp-schools. I have found that antenna installations at schools can be problamatic and really depends on the individual school and local zoning restrictions. Some schools go by the letter of the law and require professional installations, other schools are much more relaxed, it depends. Most schools are concerned about the integrety of the roof and want to avoid extra holes in the roof that might leak. Most schools want to avoid free standing antennas that can be contacted on the ground or could fall into other areas of the campus and create a hazard. I have found that simple antennas work best in a school setting, they are generally unobtrusive and easier to errect than a full blown yagi. Along with checking how others have done it, I would suggest that you first check witht he school custodian, adminstration, and district facilities manager to see if they have any rules, restrictions, and concerns. You will probably find that the local concerns will be the major driving factor in how the antenna is installed.

Mark
Aug 24th 2012, 12:07

K9OF

Mark-
tnx for your helpful reply. My school is turning out to be one of the difficult ones, I'm afraid. Until I get past their concerns (insurance, legal, safety, etc.), I plan to run some temp coax from my classroom to the hamstick on my car.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn