ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna under Roof

Jul 2nd, 19:09

d.lowrey@cox.net

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello,
I am a new Tech KK7NTU, but will be moving up to General in the fall.
With that in mind, I am thinking about how to get a decent DX antenna in the space under the roof.
Here is the problem. Our house is within an HOA located in the southwestern US. Single story house with a truss system roof, concrete roof tiles, meaning there is no attic and very little space to squeeze my body to move around under the roof.

I am thinking that I can get a wire near the roof peak in a north-east, south-west orientation with a length of about 30'. Also, I might be able to run a second antenna at 90 degrees to the previously described, but with a length of only about 20 feet.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Tune for what bands, designs and maybe post a link to an information source.
Thank you for taking time to answer.

KK7NTU
Jul 14th, 08:12

K9YO

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The HOA is probably concerned about large antennas on the top of your house that you can easily see. You should be OK setting up a dipole or maybe vertical in your back yard. Make friends with your neighbors so they don't complain. I recommend a dipole for 15 m as your first antenna. Put it up in a tree or along your ridge peak with lightning protection. You will need to drive a ground rod for the lightening protection.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn